Test your English and Chinese vocabulary level! See how many of these words you can guess.
- You take photos with a long stick.
- You make a promise with your shortest finger.
- You demand money for the person you just kidnapped.
- You look cute wearing a loose piece of clothing that covers your entire body.
- You have fallen into a pit that is slowly eating you.
- You take pleasure seeing other people fall into bad luck.
- You were born after your father died, you are a what child.
- Your university gives degrees to students who don’t deserve them.
- Your child carries keys to your home because no one is home when school finishes.
- You wrote some notes on a piece of paper to take into the exam with you to help you cheat.
- You need to wear big glasses to read the text in front of you.
- You follow what others do, you are a kind of animal (English).
- You are dating someone far, far away.
- Your government keeps its people ignorant.
- You keep putting things off, you must have a disorder of some kind.
- You take on a second job without telling your employer.
. . . . . . . (no looking at the answers until you’ve made some guesses!) Answers
- English: selfie stick. Chinese: 自拍神器 (zìpāi shénqì).
- English: make a pinky promise. Chinese: 拉钩 (lāgōu).
- English: ransom. Chinese: 赎金 (shújīn).
- English: onesie. Chinese: 连体服 (liántǐfú).
- English: quicksand. Chinese: 流沙 (liúshā).
- English: schadenfreude. Chinese: 幸灾乐祸 (xìngzāilèhuò).
- English: posthumous. Chinese: 遗腹子 (yífùzǐ).
- English: diploma mill. Chinese: 野鸡大学 (yějī dàxué); 学店 (xuédiàn).
- English: latchkey kid. Chinese: 挂钥匙儿童 (guàyàoshi értóng).
- English: cheat sheet; crib sheet. Chinese: 小抄 (xiǎochāo).
- English: reading glasses. Chinese: 老花镜 (lǎohuājìng).
- English: sheep (herd mentality; conformist mentality). Chinese: 从众心理 (cóngzhòng xīnlǐ).
- English: (in a) long-distance relationship. Chinese: 异地恋 (yìdìliàn).
- English: obscurantism. Chinese: 愚民政策 (yúmín zhèngcè).
- English: procrastination (not a real disorder). Chinese: 拖延症 (tuōyánzhèng).
- English: moonlighting. Chinese: 接私活 (jiēsīhuó); 赚外快 (zhuànwàikuài); 副业 (fùyè).
2 Comments to "Random Word Trivia #11"
You can follow all the replies to this entry through the comments feed
im an australian currently living in china (last 3 years) and i’ve been a long time reader of yours. i just wanted to send a little thank you because i really appreciate your updates.
I’m not sure I’d call this stuff trivia. I’m amazed at how you manage to keep up with all this vocabulary.
Selfie stick is also 自拍棒.